As a frequent traveler, I’m always looking for the perfect bag. So it wasn’t surprising when the kickstart project “Trunkster” caught my eye. Ability to power my devices? See if I’ve gone over bag limits? Track my bag at all times? Okay — I’m listening!
In addition to what you’d see on most roller bags (TSA lock, wheels, compression panels), the bag will feature:
- airplane grade aluminum and polycarbonate
- a roll-up door for zipper-less entry
- a 15000 mAh removable battery with USB port to charge your phone or accessory. (Charge your phone about 9 times)
- a scale in the handle (pick up the luggage to see it’s weight)
- built-in GPS to track your bag location (+$40 add on)
For their kickstarter launch, they offer two sizes: carry on (22 x 14 x 9) & checked (27 x 19 x 11).
There’s a part of me that wonders if this bag is too much gimmick. How strong is the roll-up door? Portable battery? Duh. Already part of the kit. But the real question: Am I ready to give up over-stuffing my bag and doing the one-armed wrestle to close those annoyingly small zippers? Isn’t that part of the fun? Hm. I guess there’s a bit of ‘old skool’ in me yet.
Regardless, at least 1752 backers say this project is a go. For the adventure filmmaker or photographer carrying a honeypot of digital equipment — these bag innovations are worth checking out. There’s a couple days left in the campaign. Jump on and see what you think.