HEXO+ Autonomous Drone for Adventure & Action Sports Filmmakers
Worldclass snowboarder Xavier De Le Rue and Squadrone Systems are working on the world’s first autonomous drone for adventure & action sports filmmakers.
Meet HEXO+. Posted on Kickstarter to help launch the first batch, the team meet their original 50K goal within 5 hours of launching, proving once again the interest in aerial photography is in hot demand.
We initially began thinking about HEXO+ because we needed a solution that would make aerial filming possible in the most remote places: on mountains, in the snow, and in all sorts of unpredictable situations that were quite a pain to deal with when trying to sync a drone pilot, a cameraman and a rider.
HEXO+ is an intelligent aerial follow camera that requires no pilot and no cameraman. Using an app on your phone (iOS or Android), you can set the drone’s position in relation to your subject. Once connected, it will automatically continue to reposition itself using the filming parameters you set.
HEXO+ is a drone solution for adventure filmmakers by adventure filmmakers. Tested & supported by a slew of familiar faces in the outdoor industry, the 2.2lb drone will carry your GoPro up to 50 meters at a max speed of 45mph for about 15 minutes.
Key Features include:
- Easy to Use: Ability to set the frame with your iPhone and lock your target. The drone will do the rest
- Smart and autonomous: HEXO+ automatically follows your movements maintaining the framing you set.
- Designed for action: Breaks down small enough to fit into a backpack
- Extra fast flight: Wind tunnel tested, follow your subject fup to 45mph
- Safe: Unlike the popular Phantom DJI, the HEXO+ features six propellers for more stability and safe landing
- GoPro compatible.
Set for final production in May 2015, you can back the project now at a $300 saving from their projected retail price of $899. Though they’ve met their initial goal, more funding will enable new features. Since reaching their $250K goal, they have announced Live Video feed from the smartphone.